Whittington History Society

The Barracks

From its construction in 1881 until the outbreak of the Second World War, the community of Whittington had a close association with the Barracks. Some of the highest ranking officers lived in the village and military people were often seen marching through it or into one of the pubs!  For the most part Whittington Barracks had two Battalions of two Regiments plus the strength of the North and South Staffordshire Depot, in all around 1,000 Soldiers and families. As one old villager put it: "Whittington was classed as a Military Village and everyone was very pleased about it."


Most of the original Barracks complex was demolished in the 1960s. However, the site has in recent times undergone a major revamp as the headquarters of the Defence Medical Services (DMS), which organises all medical, dental and nursing services within the British Armed Forces.

A 1891 postcard showing the new blocks.

A 1905 recruiting photograph.

Officers relaxing outside the Sergeant's Mess. Circa 1905.

A 1908 postcard showing an unknown Sergeant with his young family outside the Keep.

The Military Hospital in 1907. The garden was kept for many years by villager Jack Pass.

A lone soldier stands at the rear of the Military Hospital. The hospital had beds for 66 patients, an infectious disease ward and a mortuary.

The Soldiers Home, which was originally the grandstand of Whittington Racecourse. It is today the clubhouse of Whittington Golf Club.



Officers stationed at Whittington Barracks circa WWI.  Standing left to right - Ln. Rutherford, Capt. Elens, Capt. Birt, Capt. Hume-Kelly, Capt. Kibly, Ln. Hayes, Capt. Campbell, Capt. Williams, Capt. Collas, 2nd Ln. Cuthbert, Capt. Falls, 2nd Ln. Lees. Sitting Middle Row left to right - Capt. Woolf, Capt. de Jouce, Major Bulmer, Col. Seckham, Major Seckham, Ln Brown, Capt. Moore. Sitting front row - Ln Kinnaird & Ln. Cock.

The South Staffordshire Hounds at the Barracks. Circa 1910.

The rear of the Soldier's Home circa 1920.


A postcard of the Officers' Quarters. Date unknown.



The Parade Ground in the 1930s. At the entrance to the parade ground are the First World War memorials for the North and South Staffordshire Regiments.



Second World War hero Field Marshall Montgomery was warmly received by a large crowd of well-wishers at Whittington Barracks for the Territorial Army Review in June 1949.



© 2016 Whittington History Society