Farms & Private Houses
The south front of Whittington Old Hall circa 1930. Originally an oak-timbered Tudor building, it was substantially remodeled in brick and stone in the Elizabethan era.
A view of Whittington Old Hall from the west. The Hall was bought from the Bagalley family by Samuel Lipscomb Seckham in 1889 who spent three years and a considerable fortune restoring the building.
Frank Woollands mowing the lawns at Whittington Old Hall in around 1910.
Church Farm around the time Sydney Baxter bought it in 1919.
Double Furrow ploughing at Church Farm some time around 1910. The boy is Earnest Snape, who worked at the farm when Edward Pearce was tenant farmer to the Dyotts.
Callingswood shortly after being built by Hennis Arms Pass in 1904.
The farm at 'the Rock' on the Burton Road was referred to by the name of the farmer in residence. In the Inter-War period it was known as 'Allsop's Farm', then following the Second World War it was known as 'Ball's Farm'. However, from the 1960s onwards it began to be referred to as The Rock Farm, following the demolition of the original Rock Farm.
Horace Ball alongside John 'Gunner' Moore who is riding the bull 'Wolverdington Lion'. The sight of Gunner Moore riding the bull up Main Street was an entertaining sight for villagers in the 1960s and early 1970s.
Rock Farm, which was kept by Tommy Mann for many years, was around 300 yards away from the site of the present-day Rock Farm. It was sold for the Rock Farm Road/ Spring Lane housing estate in 1962. This photo circa 1920s.
Rock Farm hayrick with horses circa 1920.
Kitty Mann in the back yard at Rock Farm. Circa 1925.
An early photo of Rose Cottage (now known as Sheepwash Farm) on Fisherwick Road, when owned by Henry Deakin. Circa 1900.
Boot Farm on Darnford Lane, owned by the Boston family from the 1920s.
The Bostons harvesting Cauliflowers at Court Farm in the 1930s.
The Hawthorns, built by Colonel Richard Dyott of Freeford in 1858. Over the years it was let to a succession of officers from the Barracks. This photo was taken before the glass covered passageway was removed from the entrance sometime in the 1950s.
No. 7 The Green in around 1900. The houses on the Green were traditionally let to servants at Whittington Old Hall.
The Nook on Main Street in 1922.
Fair View Cottage near The Bell in the 1930s.
East Cottage (demolished in the early 1960s) stood near a five-bar gate which led to fields belonging to Rock Farm. On corner of present-day Spring Lane, where Green Cross now stands. Circa 1900, couple unknown.
The Bents on Fisherwick Road. Stephen and Louisa Saunders.
Thatched Cottage next to The Nook. Herbert Langton and Annie Wilkinson. Herbert Langton was a wheelwright and village undertaker. Circa 1900.
Mr Joe Elson outside his thatched Cottage alongside The Nook, in present-day Langton Crescent.
Whittington Lodge was for many years the home of a succession of high ranking officers at the Barracks. Unknown children, circa 1910.
Tudor Cottage belonged to the Old Hall estate and was traditionally the home of the Head Gardener. This photo circa 1965.
Crossroads in 1982, shortly after Ian de Hamel sold it to Mike & Julia Kinghan. It had previously been a farm owned from 1919 to 1944 by E.W. Pearce. Edward Pearce had a dairy but was renowned for his herd of pedigree large Black Pigs.
© 2016 Whittington History Society