For more information about the village pubs click here
The Dog on Main Street. Circa 1910. There has been a pub on this site since 1814.
The Bell Inn with pony and trap. Landlord Hennis A. Pass is sitting on the wall far right. His adopted son is sitting on the left of the wall. The man in the trap is Mr J. Tuke, a well-known bass chorister at Lichfield Cathedral for forty years, at the head of the pony is Mr. 'Ned' Johnson, the landlord of the Turk's Head Inn, Lichfield. Circa 1900.
Adjacent to the canal, the first “Swan” was a staging post for canal horses. It was housed in the row of small cottages to the left of the later building, nearer to the canal bridge. Numbers 3 and 4 were the ale house. It is believed to have opened in the 1830's.
The new Swan Hotel was built in 1911 possibly for a railway stop that was never built! This photo is circa 1921.
The Dog in 1965.
The Swan in 2005. It was demolished in 2011.
© 2016 Whittington History Society