Whittington History Society

Street Scenes

The Dog crossroads looking towards Main Street. Circa 1910.

Main Street in 1911. Note paraffin street lamp next to Woodbine Cottage.

Main Street taken from Arnold's Bakery (Co-op today). Circa 1900.

The Dog crossroads taken from the Police Station looking towards Church Street. Circa 1910.

Beagles on Darnford Lane. Circa WWI.

Church Street in 1924. Notice the distinct lack of parked cars!

The Dog crossroads during WWI.

Main Street with a light dusting of snow. Circa 1920s.

Main Street looking south. Aston's Store can be seen in the distance where the Co-op now stands. Circa 1940s.

Main Street looking south. Mrs Alice Pearman is crossing the road. Circa 1950s.

Langdon Cresent shortly after construction. Circa 1950.

No 1 The Green taken from outside The Bell. Circa 1960.

The Green. Circa 1960s.

Spring Lane under construction in 1964.

Whittington County Primary School under construction in 1967.

The Post Office on Main Street in 1968.

Fisherwick Road in circa 1967.

St Giles Hospice shortly after opening in 1983.

© 2016 Whittington History Society