The Dog Inn, (originally called 'The Talbot'), is the oldest pub in Whittington
- 1814 John Heathcote gave his profession as “Victualler” when he and his wife, Hannah, baptised son John, at St Giles, Whittington.
- 1816 John and Hannah baptised a daughter Ann, and he was still a publican.
- 1818 There is mention of a pub called “The Talbot”, which was run by J Heathcote. John and Hannah baptised another daughter, Alice, 22 May 1818, and John was still a publican.
- 1820 John was still a publican in 1820, when he and Hannah baptised their son, Richard Newbold Heathcote.
- 1824 Again on 1st Jan 1824, John baptised Joseph Benjamin, and gave his occupation as Victualler.
- 1834 White’s Gazetteer states that a J Heathcote ran “The Talbot”; this must have been John, as Joseph would have been only 10 years old at this time. John died in October 1837.
- 1837 “The Dog Inn” is named as such on a map of this date. It would appear that the pub had changed its name from "The Talbot" (a type of hunting dog) to "The Dog".
- 1841 The 1841 census gives little indication of address, no relationships and ages only correct to the nearest five years. However, Whittington has an entry: Hannah Heathcote, age 60, publican; John Heathcote, age 25, innkeeper; Richard Heathcote, age 20, farmer.
- 1850 The Post Office Directory shows Mrs Hannah Heathcote as landlady and farmer.
- 1850 Joseph Benjamin Heathcote, and his wife Sarah, baptised their daughter Elizabeth Heathcote, at St Giles, Whittington, on 29th Aug, Joseph described himself as a “Victualler”.
- 1851 Joseph Benjamin Heathcote, the youngest son of John Heathcote is running “The Dog Inn”. His two older brothers, John and Richard, had both died during the 1840s. By 1861 Joseph had become a farmer of 160 acres in Whittington, growing to 330 by 1871. In 1881 Joseph's farm is named as "Fisherwick Park Farm".
- 1860 Kelly’s Directory shows “The Dog Inn” is now being run by John Stockley,
- 1861 The census gives John Stockley as innkeeper, age 47, of Perry Barr, and his wife Ann 30, of Clifton Campville, with 4 children between the ages 16 and down to an infant. John and Ann baptised their baby daughter, Ann Elizabeth Stockley, on 10th Feb 1861, at St Giles church, Whittington.
- (I have had information that a Joseph Genders and wife Sarah ran the Dog Inn 1861, but have no evidence to support this, possibly they were just staying there, however he was later publican of the Duke of Wellington, in Lichfield).
- 1862 John Stockley and Ann baptised another child, Charles Stockley, on 20th Mar at St Giles and again he was an “Innkeeper”.
- 1863 John and Ann baptised William on 13th September, again at St Giles, Whittington, and he was still an “Innkeeper”.
- 1864 Whittington Working Men's Club was formed at a meeting in the Dog Inn.
- 1865 Birmingham solicitors, partner Lee Crowder had a local property sale held at the “Dog Inn” see record ref MS 3375/903.
- 1871 The census for this year shows resident at "The Dog" on the night of the census: Thomas Bridgen, age 30, born in Whittington, Licensed Victualler, with his wife, Lucy E, age 26, born in Lichfield, and three young children, Matilda (3), Lucy E (2) and Thomas H (4 months). Also there was general servant, Charlotte Woolley, unmarried, age 17, born in Whittington and a visitor, Thomas Handley, age 60, a mill-stone wright.
- 1881 John Lockey aged 41, of Carnhill, Northumberland, Licensed Victualler, and his wife, Eleanor, age 34 of Liverpool, were residing at “The Dog Inn” along with daughter, Eleanor J, aged 4, and infant daughter aged 1 month, unnamed, also there was Aunt Jane Eliza Slater, aged 84, of Doveridge, Derbyshire. They had 3 servants staying at census date.
- 1891 The census for this year shows Edward Kelly, aged 56 and from Stroud, to be a Licensed Victualler at The “Dog Inn” and his wife Emma was aged 54 from Lichfield. Also there was a barmaid, Maud Taylor, aged 18, a domestic servant, Lily Brett aged 19, and a stableman, Charles Finney aged 19.
- 1897 William Joseph Meakin, and his wife Elizabeth Anne, baptised their son Lord Ronald Meakin in March at St Giles; William gave his profession as Publican.
- 1901 Kelly’s directory shows that William Joseph Meakin was still at the Dog Inn
- 1901 Charles Sturgess aged 54 gave his occupation as “Publican” in the census
Alfred Sturgess kept the Dog for over 15 years.
- 1904 Kelly's Directory lists Alfred Sturgess as proprietor of the Dog Inn.
- 1912 Kelly’s Directory states that Mr Alfred Sturgess was in charge.
- 1916 Kelly's Directory lists Alfred Sturgess at The Dog Inn
- 1921 Kelly’s shows a change of landlord, who is now Frank Foster. He was also a builder.
- 1924 Electoral rolls show that Frank and Annie Foster resided at “The Dog Inn”, but it doesn’t say if they were the proprietors. (In 1888 a William Foster, gave his occupation as "Pot-Man" but little else is known).
- 1929 Prior to September of this year, street lights in Whittington were paraffin fuelled, the lamps were refuelled and had their wicks trimmed by Adolphus John Pass, the village lamplighter, The store of paraffin was kept at “The Dog Inn”, in the Dutch barn extension next to Fisherwick road. Electric lights were first turned on in the September of that year. (There was also a glass sided horse drawn hearse stored in the same building)
- 1931 Electoral rolls show Frank and Annie as residents, also a Dorothy Mary Foster was with them.
- 1932 Frank Foster was in charge according to Kellys’ Directory.
- 1936 Frank and Annie are by now definitely the proprietors, even if they weren’t before.
Frank Foster ran the The Dog Inn for 27 years. One long term resident remembered that he "was always very smartly turned out to greet the Hunt when the hounds met at “The Dog” corner".
- 1940 Frank Foster is still in charge of “The Dog Inn”.
- 1944 Parish magazine shows that Frank is still the proprietor, selling “Allsopp ales, running a motor garage, and providing stabling and loose boxes.
- 1944 - September Frank Foster steps down as licensee of The Dog after 27 years.
- 1955 Claude Duvall, a retired army officer was landlord by that April, and he stayed for just over a year.
- 1956 A Mr Stevens kept the pub for a couple of years.
- 1958 Albert Hall opened a new steak bar at the Dog. Albert was also a former soldier, and was a Japanese P.O.W. His captors removed his ear.
- 1971 Cyril Hood and his wife Nancy ran the Dog around this period, but exact dates are not known.
- 1981 Desmond and his wife Daphne ran the pub for about a decade.
- 1991 In June, John Francis Bayliss became the licensee with his wife Norma A Bayliss.
- 1994 John Bayliss was still in charge.
- 2002 Mr Paul Shelton and Keith Adams are now the Joint Licensees of “The Dog Inn”.
- 2009, The Dog Inn was forced to close in May due to a dispute with the energy company, it is understood that a meter was changed in 2006 for a multi-Tariff version, since that date, bills were considerably reduced, and were underestimated for a long while, this resulted in a bill of £34,000 pounds being allegedly owed to the energy company, The landlords offered to make a part payment which was refused, and the company has shut off all power, the landlords were forced to close the pub and live by candlelight for the duration.
Compiled by Philip James Wood
More information is required, could you add anything? Do you have any stories or old photo’s?
© 2016 Whittington History Society